You've entered a strange dimension where space just doesn't seem to work right.Use the Dimenshift Device to shift through walls and enemies as you try to escape this maze-like place.
If your goal was to get me to say "What the heck?" then mission accomplished.
Honestly the concept could be pretty good, with some more effort. I liked the gold things floating around, they looked weird, but nice. The portals worked well enough, but they were also kind of plain. They looked kinda like you just threw them in there.
The skybox also just kinda looked like you threw it in there, it didn't wrap around properly. And other than that, there's just not really enough to it. I appreciate what you're going for, but for it to be a good "walking sim/idle game," it really needs to look better than it does. Or, it needs to have some kind of goal/mechanic. Otherwise, people are going to be bored super quick, like I was.
Here's my suggestions, take them or leave them:
- Look into learning how to code shaders. Some cool/trippy looking shaders could really enhance the feel you're going for.
- Make other "rooms." The current portals just take you to the same room, having other areas might keep it a bit more interesting.
- If it's supposed to be an idle game, make the player move automatically. Just let me use the camera to control where the player is going. That way players can kind of have this going in the background, rather than it requiring their full attention.
- You mentioned that it goes great with some techno music, well then put some techno music in there!
- Anything to keep it just a bit more interesting would be nice.
I hope this helps.
Thanks! I appreciate it!
Yeah, I used Godot which makes it pretty easy to export to web.
I'm actually glad to know you found it a bit easy, I was worried about it being too difficult. It's hard to tell as the creator how difficult your game is to newcomers.
I'm curious – how many levels did you play? I'm wondering if perhaps you didn't get to some of the more challenging levels.
In any case, I'm grateful for someone playing it and for the feedback, thanks!
This game is awful...
I enjoyed my time with this game, I love that you have no idea what to expect next. I also think the glitchy sort of animations/effects are well done; they fit the game well and are just the right amount of subtle. The incorporation of the website was nice.
I only got the good ending, but I intend to find the bad ending!
Here are some critiques:
- The first time I played the game, I had to quit unexpectedly for unrelated reasons. So when I booted it up again later, I had to sit through all of the dialogue again. It became really frustrating to sit through the dialogue when it was slowly being typed out. I realize letting the player skip it or making it too fast would ruin the effect, but it'd be nice if it was just a little faster, or was only slow at certain times for effect.
I also have a similar gripe about the character movement speed in the 3D sections, though that's not as big of a deal. (And again, I realize this adds to the spooky effect)
- This didn't really affect my enjoyment of the game, but I don't think the dialog was as "spooky" as you were going for. It comes off as a little cheesy/cheeky, and while I enjoyed that, it might not be what you're going for. It also might just be the way I read it.
- The ending made no sense. It didn't feel satisfying, there was no explanation or climax, it's just sorta "You found the good ending!" Maybe it'll make more sense once I find the bad ending, but at the moment that's my biggest issue with the game.
Overall though, I really liked it and enjoyed it, thanks!